It's hard to believe it's been almost three weeks since we arrived home. That "normal" life that I was missing on the bike ride.....well, it's back in full swing. Work, yard, garden, house, projects, etc. It's all good.
Tonight, I want to tie up some loose ends about the trip and then share some "learnings" God showed us.
Let's start with some miscellaneous tidbits:
The amount raised to date from gifts and pledges for the RAAM scholarship endowment fund: $7,114.38
Times we were forced off the road by a vehicle:
3 (near Cushing, OK; near Arkansas City, KS; near Cooperstown, ND)
Memorable people we met:
-Day 5, Jackie in Marshall, TX who shared with us his difficult health issues then opened his wallet and gave generously to support the scholarship fund.
-Day 6, an elderly man on a bicycle in Jefferson, TX who wanted us to "greet all the cowboys in Montana from an old retired cowboy in Texas."
-Day 19, the young mother in Clay Center, KS who asked if we needed a hot meal or a shower, even though she had her hands full with a baby and a toddler.
-Day 29, the Warmshowers family in Fargo, ND that welcomed us into their home and freely fellowshipped with us.
-Day 36, the people who own and run the Westside Motel in Cooperstown, ND who weren't available to check us in so had us check ourselves in and pay the next morning before leaving.
The most enjoyable:
Both - time with each other; 92.9 miles into Junction City in 4 hrs, 38 min (flat and a good tailwind)
Pat - my arthritic hands didn't hurt; I didn't break any fingernails
The most unexpected:
Pat - all the hills in Oklahoma (I thought OK was flat.); the shin splints
Gerry - the weather and the effects of the heat; the shin splints
The most difficult/challenging:
Pat - Jamestown, ND to Bismarck, ND (105.2 miles, 70 of those were into a strong headwind; 10 hrs and 35 minutes on the road)
Gerry -
Ailments during the ride:
Pat - cramping toes, burning knees, headaches, chafing, shin splints, ear pressure, mouth sores on both corners (these started the second week and finally cleared up last week)
Gerry - groin muscle, chafing, shin splints
The wheel:
We and our bike guy, Brian, are still mystified as to what went wrong with the rear wheel. The wheel set was new when we began the ride and to have it fail with only 2614 miles on it is very unusual. This particular brand is a high end set built particularly for tandems and the weight they bear. The wheel has been sent in to the company for their opinion and, hopefully, a warranty replacement.

That narrow black 'line' running through the rim is where it separated. I could stick my fingernail into that crack.
This angle shows how warped the wheel became. I'm guessing that's from the integrity of the wheel being compromised by the separation.
A couple of the questions that are asked of us are:
1 - "How was this ride different from the first one?"
Gerry summed it up this way. The first trip was one of 'Awe and Adventure': Awe that we were actually doing what we had dreamed of for years; Adventure in riding through new terrain and states, and meeting people.
This second trip was one of 'Pain and Perseverance': Pain was a daily accompaniment for both of us. We called it "pain du jour"(See Ailments above.). Perseverance in forging on even in those hours when everything in us felt like quitting.
2 - "What did God show you on the trip?"
Gerry - Everyone can benefit from being challenged. Pushing on through the hard days showed us that God has given us more strength and endurance than we thought we had.
Pat - We don't stop/quit just because we "feel" like it. We don't make decisions based on feelings. I've known this for a long time but it was reinforced to me.
The other thing that keeps coming back to me is, "What impact did I have on those I met?" Did I have any at all? If I didn't, what was it all for? If I did, was it for good?
When I think of our friend, Sandy, who has been living with cancer for over a year and a half, I see someone who has been challenged far more than we were for seven weeks. I see someone whose daily battle impacts those around her for good, directing our hearts toward Jesus and the hope that comes only from Him.
So, my prayer for all of you who have supported us in prayer, encouraged us emotionally, gave financially, and faithfully followed us right here on the blog, is that in some small way RAAM 2 has directed your hearts toward the Savior, our soon and coming King.
Looking up,
Pat and Gerry


No comments:
Post a Comment